Wednesday, February 14, 2007
What's love got to do with it?
"When you're married, you wanna kill your spouse. When you're single, you wanna kill yourself." - Chris RockThis all-out obsession with pink hearts and red roses on February 14th doesn't make me ponder suicidal thoughts, but it just makes reaching for the Pepto-Bismol to make it all go away a necessity. The upside is I can nurture my nausea in cold comfort since I'm not the only one seeking solace in cynicism. Everyone else isn't exactly doe-eyed with hearts aflutter on this cruelly manufactured "holiday."
And there are a million songs in the naked city that will deepen the depression. So if you're still flying solo, newly single or checking up on your local stalking laws, take Sade off repeat and tune in to these 10 tracks to help you return fire at that fat toddler with all the arrows:
- Kelis - Caught Out There (With a hook of "I hate you so much right now...," this is battle cry fodder tailor made for the anti-romantics.)
- Lily Allen - Smile (The prettiest kiss-off song in years.)
- Soft Cell - Tainted Love (The synthpop makeover only makes a forgotten soul gem even darker the second time around.)
- Christina Aguilera - Get Mine, Get Yours (A panting thumbs up to mercy fucking your way to the 15th)
- Ani DiFranco - Untouchable Face
- Lauryn Hill - Ex-Factor (Crystallizing the insanity of loving and hating someone so much at the same time never sounded so sweet.)
- Portishead - Sour Times (Take equal parts moody soundscape and the tortured vocals of Beth Gibbons and you've got a Molotov cocktail of despair in under 4 minutes flat.)
- No Doubt - Don't Speak (Before Gwen got sidetracked with pimping out Asian kewpie dolls, she was one helluva songwriter. This classic is exhibit A.)
- Heather Headley - I Wish I Wasn't (I've lived the lyrics of this joint in a dysfunctional "relationship" for the past 5 years. Damn you, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis!)
- Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
- chumly commented at 2/15/2007 01:57:00 AM~
BAH HUMBUG!!! Hey that did feel good!
- Michael commented at 2/16/2007 05:32:00 PM~
Oh how I love thee.
Want to Post a Comment?